Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Man's best friend to runner's best friend

Over the past few weeks I've been hitting some pretty high mileage, highest of my life, except for this time I'm holding this mileage for like the whole season so it's getting pretty long, boring and tiring, and with the lack of running buddies the last few weeks (except SM a few times) I've been getting pretty lonely as well.  Anyway last week my dog, Lacy, was acting up from being cooped up in the house because nobody really wanted to take her outside in the cold, so one day while I was gearing up for a run and Lacey single handedly spilt my water bottle stole my running shoe and gave me a bloody lip, so I decided as punishment I'd take that fiend with me for my run , now some may say well Adam that must be a treat for that little critter, but no, with all this pent up rage on my dog I didn't take it easy on her. She started out running at a solid 4 flat pace and i kept up, didn't warn her of things to come, I don't think she realized we were going for a solid 40 minutes because by 10 minutes she was no longer front running, ohh noo, she was right at my side struggling to keep up because I didn't slow down I kept a heavy pace for the next 20 minutes while she slowly faded behind me. Despite her exaughstion she kept up the whole run thoe! Over that 40 minutes I think I bonded with my dog more then I've bonded with her since I've owned her and along with that realization i realized how much I value running when I judge someone! I have speed goggles but for personality as well so the fact that Lacy kept up boosted her in my mind 10 fold! I think I have a new life dream, to do like a marathon or something of the sorts with my dog because that would be sick, so from now on in I'm doing every run i possibly can with her she has officially went from man's best friend to runner's best friend

Sorry about the rant on my dog, t'il next time

-AP

No comments:

Post a Comment