Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Time to be Real with Myself

Ok, lets be straight up about realistic goals here. What am I in this for?

As I was practicing my water can chug, stalling at 8 mid or 7 high night after night, I came to realize - it's time to stop fooling around. Let's be honest. I am never going to be able to actually chug frothy carbonated, sting-the-back-of-your-throat beer in world class time.

However, from that low I find a reassuring high point. I need to focus on STRENGTHS. Sure, my chug isn't the fastest in the world. So I make up with volume and capacity handling, as well as running ability. In the future you can BET I'll be doing more training using what I call Sequentials (where the aim is to average high chug speed for a number of cans, as well as overall time for the sequence).

This usefulness of this volume-focused exercise gets reinforced when you look at the fact that a can can't really be completely poured any faster than 6.5 seconds without being altered. Therefore, the gap between the very best chugger and yourself is limited to no more than your chug time subtract 6.5 seconds (give or take). After all, how can a beermiler chug faster than the speed at which the liquid can flow from the can? This is reassuring indeed.

But back to sequences. Sequences can be anywhere from 2 to 6 or more cans. Will I ever attempt a session of sequences to failure? Who knows. The session involves chugging each can repetitively, one after another, using water, or in rare race simulation environments, actual brew. The exercise can be considered a success if each can chug time is within a second of the others. The key here is consistency. Volume handling.

When it comes down to it, if I can some day manage sub-10 second chugs and sub 13 second total transition times within race environments consistently, I will be a happy camper.

So in answer to my original question, I am in this to push the limits of my abilities that contribute to a fast beermile, whether they are naturally high-level or not. Whether the combination of these will some day qualify me for the fast heat of BMWC is yet to be seen., but make no mistake: that is the goal.

D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment