Thursday, December 06, 2012

Getting back in to the swing of things

As the sun shines over the horizon, his first step lands on the cold hard ground, this is it, this is what he's been waiting for. He's been locked in a box of in activeness for 3 weeks and he's finally been set free. He takes off, no idea how fast he's going, the almost forgotten feeling of lactic acid building up in his legs once more. once more the feeling of the run. He continues his journey, running, running for the sake of him self, running  for the sake of his dreams, running for fun. Taking in every aspect of the almost forgotten experience the wind through his hair, the sweat dripping off his face the adrenaline pushing him on. Around the bend his adventure comes to an end along with the realization of how much fitness he's lost over his break, excited for the challenge of regaining it and improving, ready for anything.

Well it's around that time of year again where runners all over the country have to get off their lazy buts, stop getting fat and start running again, but I've been looking forward to it since the end of cross! That feeling of the wind through my eye lashes, the patter of my heart against my chest and the feeling of the cold hard ground beneath my feet, but there is one thing that I don't like about this wonderful time....The cold... To me there is nothing worse then the cold when running, it makes your face numb, your hands numb, your ears numb, in fact it makes almost everything numb! It seems to me that no matter how much you bundle up you still frezze your ass off, the only thing that keeps me going when running in the winter is the stereotype of runners being tough, I can't wait until i can start growing facial hair, because its going to make it much easier.

Anyway I always thought it was good to go over your goals at the start of the season and what you're going to do different, or the same, from last year to achieve them, so my goals this year are kind of time specific because I don't know if everyone heard about this but school sports are being canceled in Ontario, that's right no more cross country, no more nordic skiing , no more track! It's a tragedy! Regardless of there being no school related races, I still want to sub 9:00 in the 3000 and 4:10 in the 1500. I know they may seem a little far fetched but i like to keep my standards high.

Just like rj and dc mentioned in there posts earlier I think doing the little things such as stretching, doing abcs and strides after every run, icing frequently are all going to make it or break it this year, i figure that most kids my age aren't thinking about the little things so if I do them that's one thing I would have that they don't and most times those things are the most important.

Anyways I hope everyone has been buying advent calendars, because regardless of who you are, that should be a tradition. Until next time!

-AP

No comments:

Post a Comment