Monday, August 26, 2013

Something is about to happen, that has not happened in an age....

Greetings runners everywhere,

The rumored wild bearded man, the Lakehead Luggage Moose, Benabus Jonesus from the wild white north has entered the pack for this fall's XC season. The above title is a quote taken from the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. As a matter of fact it is Treebeard himself who says it when the Ents decide to go to war. Now reflecting on the relevance of the quote it has been 3 whole years since I've trained and raced in an XC race. I finally made the decision when I was just finishing a ski workout (yes, I did nordic skiing in my time away from running) last March when I foolishly said to a group of varsity runners that I was going to run XC in the fall. In the words of Durr I "threw my hat over the fence." As opposed to Treebeard and the Ents I did not think things through but rather impetuously put myself in a position where I couldn't back out of.

Any regrets you may ask? None.

It's been a tough summer of super high mileage (for me) and I've lost almost all of my skiing muscle, 20 pounds! So I'm light and fast but can't lift jack anymore. That's ok though, being able to run a 17min 5k like I was sleeping is more than worth it.

This weekend is the Lakehead TT then start of training camp. The North is ready to be unleashed.

Benabus

No comments:

Post a Comment